Sunday 23 June 2013

Wykeham Forest. Flamborough Head, Bempton Cliffs. Filey Brigg and Tophill Low.

June 16th-18th 2013.

A good few days around North Yorkshire and part of  its coast line
was refreshing and productive. The whole area is beautiful and stunning. It is a place I will visit many times in the future I am sure. Starting off at Wykeham Raptor viewpoint early on Sunday brought good sightings of Goshawk and Common Buzzard. Along
with Chiffchaff, Chaffinch,Swallows and Swifts.A couple of hours at the viewpoint brought us no Honey Buzzards so we had a break and drove into the forest to check out a possible Nightjar site about a mile away. The site looked perfect and whilst we had a look around we noticed a Tree Pipit perched upon a branch with its back to us. The instant it flew a couple of yards from its branch another Tree Pipit flew from the ground towards us carrying a fecal sac. At the same spot a Garden Warbler sang endlessly behind us giving brief glimpses as it flitted around us. 
Returning to the viewpoint we heard
Turtle Doves only a few yards behind us but failed to spot them, what a shame. A short time later we had our first brief view as a Honey Buzzard rose and descended all too quickly. We didn't have to wait very long until it appeared again, sadly only briefly again. The Goshawks entertained us with stunning dives from glorious heights at breath taking speeds, one bird taking a Wood pigeon with ease from the valley below us. Shortly after this we had our best views as a Honey Buzzard flew from our far left above the tree line giving us chance to follow it in our scopes. On the way back towards the A170 and the hotel at Lastingham we noted Jay, Yellowhammer and many Whitethroats littered the hedgerows. Common Buzzards also soared over us.
Saturday evening we gathered at the Nightjar site. Several Woodcock passed over us as the light faded but sadly no Nightjars.
We gave it our best shot but neither sound nor sight of them left us deflated. We left around 10.30pm very disappointed. The site looked perfect.
I had a plan B though and returning to Lastingham I decided I would use it on Sunday night.
Sunday daytime was glorious with sunny weather, we headed towards Flamborough Head a great place. The walk around was good with sightings of Puffin, Razorbill, Fulmar, Kittiwake and the odd Gannet. Puffin numbers are better here than up the road at Bempton cliffs and the public masses don't overcrowd the area. Birds noted include Goldfinch, Whitethroat and Peregrine, along with large numbers of Starling  and common Gulls.

At Bempton Cliffs I was unsettled by the large number of people. I am not a person that likes crowded areas. I must admit though the Gannet views are good and we did pick up Corn bunting and Tree sparrow along the way.


Moving up the coast again we arrived at Filey Brigg a stunning place and much more my sort of area. From the parking area we climbed down as the tide was ebbing away. I noted a single eclipse Eider hiding behind some rocks and a Grey seal swimming just off shore. A single Shag stood alone at the end of the Brigg and 2 Sandwich terns flew over giving good views before returning 5 minutes later. As we walked along the slippy rocks we saw a big fat chunky Grey seal basking in the sunlight.

A singleKittiwake posed nicely for the camera whilst gulls flew all around us. Back up at the car park Linnets and Goldfinch scattered through the trees and bushes whilst a family of Sand martins lined up along the barbed wire fencing.

That evening just before dusk I set off for a clear fell area two miles from my hotel. This area looked perfect for Nightjars but so did the site at Wykeham forest the night before. Immediately the midges started to bite and they continued biting until I left. 
As the light faded a Green woodpecker flew into a area where I suspect it was nesting and then flew back out and away a couple of minutes later. A Muntjac deer barked loudly somewhere close by to my left and the first of several Woodcock flew overhead. Snipe could be heard drumming from the trees behind where I was stood.
I didn't have long to wait until I heard the first Nightjar Churning and then shortly after another. The strain on my eyes in this light was hard but when the first bird flew across my field of view it was worth it. Another view of another bird and endless churning in the background was pleasing. Moments later a Nightjar flew directly towards me clapping its wings just above me as it flew only feet over my head...Brilliant !

Monday morning I moved towards home via Top Hill low a superb site worthy of a visit. The single track road leading towards the site is worth driving along slowly. Lots of open fields and hedgerows could hold numerous birds though I only noted Swallows Swifts and Whitethroats. Walking along the path towards D reservoir, Reed buntings, Chiffchaffs and Sedge warblers sang from the thickets.
 



 Goldfinch gave excellent views and at least two Cuckoos called but remained hidden. Looking over the large reservoir I noticed Great crested grebes, Tufted ducks, Little grebe and Pochard. As I climbed down the steps from the hide a Common Buzzard glided overhead and behind the hide, I waited for it to drift back into view but it didn't...Damn. I tried scanning the bushes and ponds along the footpath for something special when I noticed a group of four men walk off the main path and flush a Barn owl from the new path they had taken, it flew across my field of view and directly over part of the reservoir from where I had just walked away from. On my way towards O reservoir I stopped at a small hide for a quick look. Within minutes I heard lots of strange quite loud  croaking noises from just in front of the hide. The noise was very close but for the life in me I could not see a thing. Straining my eyes and looking at the small area of water below I saw nothing. The croaking stopped. Two minutes later it started again and I looked and looked but nothing again, I then noticed some very small ripples on the calm water. Hidden in the ponds vegetation was a superbly camouflaged  Marsh frog. Laying on top of the water motionless and now again silent I was amazed by its colours and even more taken by the stunning golden eye  this little creature possessed... Beautiful ! Two minutes later it started croaking again and I was able to capture a few shots of it inflating its air sacks in some sort of mating ritual or showmanship.

At O reservoir I sat in one of the back to back hides as they are known overlooking the Marsh harriers nest. The chicks had hatched but had not started to venture away from the nest yet. This was made obvious when the male came from my left with food and the female rose from the reeds in front of me to meet him  and relieve him of his prize before descending back into the reeds. A Cetti's warbler called from the side of the hide before flying briefly below me through the tall grasses in front of the hide.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment